IPL 2012 Squads Current Cricket Series and Schedules Live Scores and Updates
Tracknfieldgear On December 29, 2010

Ricky Ponting wants to remain as Australia captain despite weakening to manage the return of the Ashes.After going down by an innings and 157 runs in Melbourne, Australia trail England 2-1 with just the New Year Test in Sydney to come.England hold the Ashes following their 2009 triumph on home soil, therefore the best Ponting's men can now hope for is a share of the series.

The MCG hammering has led to much soul searching among the Australian press with many calling for a youth movement.Ponting, at 36, is the oldest player in the side and his positions as captain and number three batsman are sure to come under inspection at the conclusion of the series.But the Tasmanian does not appear to be contemplating retirement and believes he still has "a lot to offer".

"Whatever decision I make, it's really important it's for the betterment of Australian cricket," he said."I want to keep playing. I would love to keep leading the team. I still think I've got a lot to offer in both those regards - but it's got to be about the betterment of Australia cricket."It's never been about me. It's always been about the team and what's right for the team."I've felt I've led the team as well as I can.

I want to be around the team, helping these young guys through the tougher times and think I still have a lot to offer those younger blokes."I haven't performed the way I wanted to perform. But I certainly haven't done it without trying, that's for sure."I guess there's been a few doubts creep into my mind the last couple of weeks - I'm not going to hide that."I think I absolutely have to reconsider where I'm at as a Test batsman."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Top