IPL 2012 Squads Current Cricket Series and Schedules Live Scores and Updates
Tracknfieldgear On March 29, 2011

Ricky Ponting has stepped down as Australia's captain in Tests and ODIs following their quarter-final exit from the World Cup but will be available for selection as a batsman in both formats. Ponting made the declaration at the SCG on Tuesday, and backed Michael Clarke to take over the leadership of the team. Ponting said the World Cup exit had encouraged his decision and that "no one has tapped me on the shoulder asking me to go."

"I have resigned as captain of both the Test and one-day Australian teams. I will continue to play and am available for selection in both the one day and Test teams," Ponting said. "I have thought long and hard about what Australian cricket needs. Now is the right time for the next captain to assume the liability for both the Test and one-day teams. We have to be doing everything we can to win back the Ashes in 2013-14 and the World Cup in 2015.


It is highly unlikely that I will be still playing so it is the right decision for Australian cricket that the next captain now be appointed. This will give him the chance to create his own direction and legacy."Today is a new start for me and I am very excited about the future. I will give my complete support to our new captain and continue to do my best to set the best possible example for my team-mates and emerging cricketers alike."

Ponting expressed his desire to travel to Bangladesh for three limited-overs matches next month. The team for the tour will not be named until Wednesday, but Ponting's announcement should allow Clarke to assume the captaincy on the tour, before hard assignments against Sri Lanka and South Africa later in the year. On his arrival home from an failed World Cup defence, Ponting had said he was ready to give up the captaincy and also move down the batting order if it was in the interests of the Australian team.


Matches

Won

Lost

Tied/Draw

NR

Win %

Test

77

48

16

13

0

62.33

ODI

227

163

50

2

12

76.27

Twenty20

17

7

10

0

0

41.17



ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 - Records


ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 - Photos

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Top